Cana Girls Rescue Home is a private charitable institution run on Christian values.
Our story starts way back, when we rescued the first girl
2002 – WE RESCUED THE FIRST GIRL
2003 – WE STARTED OUR WORK
2005 – RECOGNIZED BY THE COUNTY GOV
2010 – GROW TO OVER 20 VOLUNTEERS
2005 – BECAME AN ADVOCATE OF GIRL RIGHTS
Cana Girls Rescue Home is a private charitable institution run on Christian values. It is located in the former Rift Valley Province in an arid area in Nginyang, Mondi Division, Tiaty sub county, in Baringo County, Kenya, East Africa. It is about 161km from Nakuru town.
Home’s idea was born in the year 2002 by Rev. Canon Christopher Chochoi and his wife Nelly. The two were deeply concerned about the problems inflicted against the girl child in their village in the name of keeping Pokot community tradition and cultural practices.
In the year 2005, the home started with five girls who before then were living in Rev. Canon
Chochoi’s Home because they had run away from their parents’ homes for fear of being
circumcised and married off forcefully to men of their father’s choice because tradition does not
allow women to make any decisions.
By the end of 2005, the number of girls running to Cana Girls Rescue Home had increased to 20
girls. Subsequently, the number increased to 74. However, the number of girls currently stands at
The reduction in numbers has been occasioned by a lack of enough resources to sustain them at the home while others were reunited with their families after successfully completing their education.
However, the home does not recruit a girl on arrival but rather accepts her after being vetted by government agencies or other approved agencies for security reasons and also for the veracity of the information provided by the girl.
The facility has managed to run since inception despite the insufficient financial resources, with all girls schooling in various primary schools, secondary schools, colleges, and universities.
There are 100 girls who have benefited from Cana and are now working in various sectors both formal and informal and leading decent lives.
• To provide a safe and secure environment for the girl child which enables empowerment, self esteem, self confidence and personal responsibility towards self and others.
• To accommodate, care, equip and empower the girl-child to become master of her own destiny.
• To meet the basic physical needs of the girls in Cana Girls Rescue Home.
• To equip and manage the staff appropriately enabling them to offer proper and compassionate care to the children, and where applicable to the girl’s families.
• To work towards reunification of the girl- child and her family where possible.
COME WORK WITH US